Monday, March 31, 2008

Sadness about Fred


Today I was very sad. Sad for many reasons. My uncle is lying in a hospital bed with family and friends surrounding him. He did not know much about who I was yesterday and it really depressed me because we used to have such fun joking each other. He has lived a good life and as a nurse said yesterday to my mom, "you can always tell those who are rich by those he has around when it truly matters." Uncle Ed (I always joked with him about the Fred part) is rich. He has a loving, devoted wife and terrific, accomplished children. He is the very proud grandfather of two adorable kids. He has friends and extended family beyond measure. Although cancer, that dreaded, evil family killer, will take him in the near future, his legacy will live throughout generations. He fought the good fight and he will be at peace with his Savior in heaven. Where will YOU be when the time comes?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ed is incredibly rich! We could not believe the friends, family, and calls that kept coming in yesterday. He is such a kind soul. I am so glad to have the opportunity to know, love, and learn from him...
Aunt Ruth amazes me, as always, at her grace. Trying to get drinks for everyone and keeping the atmosphere light and funny with her wit then discussing the arrangements for his funeral in the next breath. To hear her statement this morning when he looked at her, "I love you and you love me. We are all going to be o.k." What peace she is giving him about letting go... as much as she must long to hold on. What love, what composure, what insight!
Grace and peace be with the Holley family during this... after this... and every moment they long for Uncle "Fred's" presence.
Love and Prayers,
Melanie