Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

I am going to try with this post to be more in depth about my family and my feelings. I have been reading some really great blogs lately and I am surprised (in a good way) about how honest and forthright my friends can be with their blogging.

As a counselor, I was taught that listening is the key aspect to being successful at this job. I don't listen enough. I listen to my students and I listen to my Sunday School teacher and I listen to my boss but I don't think that I am truly listening to those I need to listen to the most: Chris, my kids, my parents, my extended family members, my government, myself. Life is too short to let circumstances weigh you down.

I have been on a kick recently about wanting a new house. How crazy is that?!? I don't NEED a new house. Sure, I would like more space for us to roam and closets for all my junk but do I really NEED a new house? Do I NEED to stress over an increase in our mortgage payment? Do I NEED to stress over selling our house now? Do I NEED to uproot the kids when they are perfectly content? No to all of the above. I want to be content. Content in my circumstances and in my life. I have so many blessings. I have healthy kids, a terrific husband, a wonderful church family, a job I love and most importantly, the love of a savior who died for me. What more could I want? Why do I let myself be ruled by "stuff" instead of just living life to the fullest?

I am going to make my resolution for the new year now: I will strive for contentment in my life. Thanksgiving is a great time to start because you are already humbled by what you have. Thanks to all my friends and family for supporting me as I begin this journey......

2 comments:

Thirty-One by Mandy Marks said...

thanks for your post. i think that we all get wrapped up in wants instead of needs. i know that i am guilty of the same things.

hope you and your family have a great week!

Anonymous said...

GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU AND ALL YOUR FAMILY--ARNE AND BETTY